- Saturday 24/02 (see below for specific times)
- FREE (donations to cover venue fees gratefully accepted)
- Northcote Library meeting room
32-38 Separation St, Northcote
View on Google Maps
- Book your place
- Available workshops
• Nanoloop for beginners with Hedonist and EVYLZ
• Using resolume for visuals with Aday
• Advanced LSDJ tips and tricks with Aquellex
12:00 - 1:30 Introduction to Nanoloop Mono with Hedonist and EVYLZ(1.5 hours)Join Guy (Hedonist/Bloody Fist/giveushits.com) and Will (EVYLZ/Ende Recs/Speedcomp) for this introduction to Nanoloop Mono, a three channel analog synth/step sequencer for the original Gameboy. The workshop will cover creating patterns, melodies and arpeggios. Using the noise & click channels to create a drum track, and then move on to look at different ways to use modulation on the wave channel to create synth sounds. There are 8 Gameboys & Nanoloop Mono carts to use. If you've used Nanoloop for iOS or NanoLoop 2 before you'll be familiar with the interface but if not just turn up and start entering notes randomly. The workshop is designed as an introduction to Nanoloop Mono but if you use it regularly feel free to come along and play stuff you've made etc. There'll be a SNES with a Super Gameboy projecting nanoloop onto a screen so people can see what's going on and admire your work. Bringing a gameboy or emulator along will help you get more out of the session, as you can try out your new skills, but you’ll learn from the session without it.
1:45 - 2:45 Title: Resolume & Introduction to Live Coding in GLSL visualsNote - We will be using Resolume for Windows. MAC versions are available but demonstrating on Windows. There are build instructions though are available for OSX for interested parties - https://github.com/leadedge/ShaderMaker/ Blurb: VJ’s this is for you! We will be concentrating on fundamentals of Resolume and manipulating GLSL code to work in Resolume using ShaderLoader.dll. The workshop will go into some detail about webcams, capture cards, encoding, layers, MIDI/OSC/Sequencing, live coding, and creating composition. Also covered will be:
- Encoding DXV files using Premiere (or MPEGSteamclip) (Freeware) so you can cut and import your own clips!)
- some of the effects that are built in, and we'll use Audio Analysis (FFT) to manipulate the live visuals
- MIDI Mapping, OSC Mapping (TouchOSC).
- SHADERS! Specifically, ShaderLoader.dll (A Hacky method for loading GLSL shader files into the composition!)
- And if there's time, We'll also talk and demonstrate projection meshing (Projection Mapping) techniques.
https://resolume.com/download/ (Grab a demo copy for now)
https://resolume.com/software/codec (Get your DXV Codec!)
http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-win.html (Encode using the DXV Codec)
http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html (Encode using the DXV Codec)
https://github.com/leadedge/ShaderLoader (Get your GLSL on!)
https://www.sublimetext.com - Text Editor (teh best)
https://hexler.net/software/touchosc (TouchOSC, you'll want TouchOSC Bridge and TouchOSC Editor) and https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.hexler.touchosc_a&hl=en for Android or https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/touchosc/id288120394?mt=8 for iOS
http://aday.net.au (My website....somewhat)
3:00 - 4:30 Advanced LSDJ tips and tricks with Aquellex (1.5 hours)Want to know how to get more out of your Gameboy? Aquellex is here to teach you some of the more complex techniques that an LSDJ user might need in order to get more from their favourite instrument. Expect to cover topics like:
- complex groove techniques
- wave crunching (getting clavinets, steel drums etc. using the LSDJ wavetables)
- extended wavetable banks beyond 00-0F, 10-1F etc
- overtones in the WAV channel
Pre Party and Open Mic
- Thursday 22/02, 6pm – 11:30
- Worker's Club Bandroom
51 Brunswick St, Fitzroy
View on Google Maps
- Traditionally, the pre party showcases the talent of our fans. Half the night is devoted to an open mic, while the other half has full length sets from some of our favourite artists - this year, we're show cashing some past open mic show stealers, and new favourites from all over Oz.
- Sunday 25/02, 2pm onwards
- Brunswick Hotel Beer Garden
140 Sydney Road, Brunswick
View on Google Maps
- This is it, the last Square Sounds event! The Post party is a place to hang out in the sun with new friends and old ones, and listen to DJ sets from some of OUR friends, including past and current Square Sounds artists playing the music they love and that inspires them, whether that’s more chip, or something else.
We’re back at the Brunny hotel this year, and are so happy to be there, come along for a beer and some food, and a really good time!